“botnet is a social network simulator where you’re the only human along with a million bots who are obsessed with you.” This is so right now.
Alexander McNaughton is a forager, educator, and wild food expert living in British Columbia. The guy is like the reincarnation of John Muir. He was profiled recently on Uses This, and it’s a fascinating look into the routines of a modern-day Hedge Wizard. I am captivated by his “dream setup”.
“Dream setup? True food abundance 12 months a year; to decouple myself from the industrial system as much as possible and focus on feeding people in the community. Imagine 11 acres of food producing system engineered with as many passive systems integrated as possible; to work with the natural systems at hand to exist with as low of a footprint as possible. Net zero waste for the food supply company, for our home, our community. To never buy another crappy vegetable wrapped in plastic from someplace else. Decouple. Opt out. Off grid. Beyond organic, permaculture, biodynamic. To slowly walk the food forests as an old man and have the next generation feed me the fruits when I can no longer climb the fig tree. There are moments in my life that begin to approach this future; moments of complete zen flow state immersed in the natural environment deep in the deafening silence only wilderness can provide, Jedi forest ninja moments of mossy introspection, where I see the forest through the trees. Profound primal experiences that touch something deep in the genome, from a time before we all became slaves to the machine and forgot about the basics like clean air, water and food from the land.”
His Instagram is wonderful.
Look at these ISS Expedition Posters! They’re adorable in their unabashed, big nerd energy. Expedition 16 is where things get really interesting!
Foodporn, Earthporn, Historyporn All my favorite porns in one glorious tumblr.
This low-tech Google Maps hack is so brilliant. Its a regular person waging asymetric warfare against an gargantuan, dehumanizing corporate AI. Everything about this reminds me that the science-fiction-future of my youth is happening right now, in real life, right in front of me.
- Generative placeholders lets you use generative art as image placeholders. What a wonderful idea.
- Temper is a simple little tool that helps you make a basic HTML file. (Via the always awesome Kicks Condor.)
- Legiblenews.com is a single page-a-day news recap sourced from Wikipedia’s current events and presented in text-only, static HTML (again via the amazing Kicks Condor)
- Boonsaikotik on Instagram is super beautiful.
- Holy shit glitch cats are a thing
- Ugurgallen’s Instagram is beautiful, fascinating, and darkly thought-provoking.
- The Inn at the Crossroads creates recipes from the Game of Thrones, and other fictional universes. They have even made cookbooks.
- Tiny-helpers.dev is a bunch of single-purpose, online tools for developers. (H/T to Waxy.org)
- I had one of these plushy mushroom stools in my room as a kid.
- The Weird Book Room at Abesbooks.com is hysterical.